ABOUT MORNING STAR
Morning Star Baptist Church has become one of the fastest growing churches in greater Boston. The church was founded on June 14, 1965 by a handful of parishioners who held their initial worship services in the home of its first Pastor, the Rev. James Meadows. At this time, our beloved Mother Richardson, inspired by scripture, gave the church its name. Morning Star was officially established in August of 1965. From its humble beginnings, the church has grown to be a well known, highly regarded, full gospel assembly of over 1800 members.
Morning Star’s history is highlighted by its growth, expansion and community leadership. The church has experienced steady growth during its history. Soon after being established, the members of Morning Star outgrew space they began in and moved to 19 Stratton Street in Dorchester. In 1967, the church required a move to larger temporary quarters on 76 Glenway Street, Dorchester. Further expansion of the congregation necessitated a move in 1968 to 133 Harrishof Street, Roxbury. This sanctuary, which had once been a Jewish synagogue, met the needs of Morning Star until 1976. While the church had experienced several changes in leadership, Morning Star continued its steady, incremental growth. No longer a church that merely served the immediate neighborhood, Morning Star attracted people from various Boston communities. Again the church recognized the need for a larger sanctuary, so in 1976, while Rev. Walter Stevenson was serving as Pastor, Morning Star relocated to its present location at 1257 Blue Hill Avenue in Mattapan.
This new location was able to accommodate the congregation of approximately 300 with room for growth. The new site is centrally located and easily accessible to the membership, and highly visible to potential members as an active, spiritually effective church. Many members lived in Dorchester, Mattapan and Roxbury with more and more were traveling from neighboring suburbs such as Milton and Randolph. For these and other reasons, it seemed prudent to purchase the building and parcel of land on which it stood. This would enable Morning Star to have a permanent home, the financial stability needed to better serve the congregation and community long term. In 1976, the church bought the 1257 Blue Hill Avenue facility and property.
In 1981, Reverend John M. Borders, III was officially installed as Pastor becoming the youngest pastor to serve Morning Star. It has been under his leadership that the church has experienced its most significant growth. Rev. Borders and his associate ministers have been highly successful in bridging generations, attracting younger church members while continuing to fulfill the needs of more senior members. His dynamic preaching and teaching of scripture, his spiritual leadership and organizational acumen have been inspirational. Under his leadership, Morning Star’s membership, ministries and community service programs have flourished.
Morning Star Baptist Church is committed to improving the quality of spiritual and economic life for its membership and for residents of the surrounding community.